Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ikea, Kids and Boxes


(Click image to enlarge)

IKEA is having some great promotions, so Karima and I, along with our little ones, hiked across town to check out the deals. I ended up scoring an EINA wardrobe for 23 bucks (Orig. $99)! And the kids ate free (FYI they do through July 5th), which is nice, even though the cost of their meals isn't exactly bank-busting. Every little bit helps, as they say.

Although we had to wait over an hour (after the girl working the play area said there was a 10-15 minute wait) the kids thoroughly enjoyed their 45 minutes, of freewheeling in Småland. Meanwhile, Karima, the babe and I were able peruse the goods at our own pace, deciding what was nice for the price and what was just plain, Made in China junk. That mega-mega store is just plain fun.

Now getting the wardrobe home posed its own challenges, as the box's length was pretty ridiculous- Measuring in at nearly 6' 5"! There was no way that was fitting in my sedan's trunk, as I had so foolishly planned. So thankfully, Karima offered her vehicle, since she has an SUV with a roof rack. We thought about the different options, such as folding down seats, having the box hang out the window, and decided on tying it down to the roof, instead- With the IKEA- provided, skin-ripping twine. Yes, it ripped my skin, yes, it burns and stings. Somehow, us girls managed to get the unwieldy box on the top o' da truck and then I began the futile efforts of tying it down. A lot. Over and over and over. It was kinda ridiculous how many times I tied that thing to the rack. No matter all my efforts though, it still managed to come loose during our very slow and very careful drive home. I was following behind and had to stare for a while, to realize that one of the main pieces of twine that was holding the box along the length of the car had slid off. We pulled over and tied the box down some more, with the extra twine we'd taken, for just such an incident. Whatever I did that time, I guess I did right, because the box looked more secure the rest of the way home than the first half of the trip. I can happily say, that the box made it just fine, thanks to some careful maneuvering on Karima's part. And no so much my lacking tie-down skills. Lesson of the day: When in doubt, bring your ratcheting tie-down straps (Especially if you already have some)!

1 comment:

  1. oh yes, don't leave home with the ratcheting tie-downs, never know when those will come in handy ;) love the pics of the girl with the kitty and the one of the boy in the middle.

    ReplyDelete